RE: whenToUseGet-7 counter-proposal

From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 08:47:26 -0700
To: <www-tag@w3.org>
> I would suggest clarifying this by adding the sentence:
>
> "Systems should NOT however, rely on HTTP GET to be 'safe'"

The expected behavior of HTTP GET is a different (albeit
admittedly related) topic than "When to use GET".

RFC 2616 section 9.1 "Safe and Idempotent Methods" already has
a discussion of HTTP GET and safety. I'd hate to see a
TAG recommendation on the topic that didn't at least reference
the HTTP spec.

There's been some talk of an update to RFC 2616, at a minimum
to incorporate the errata (http://purl.org/net/http-errata).