RE: whenToUseGet-7 counter-proposal

From: Joshua Allen <joshuaa@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 21:10:42 -0700
To: <LMM@acm.org>, "Paul Prescod" <paul@prescod.net>
Cc: <www-tag@w3.org>
>    HTTP GET should be "safe" (because there are systems
>    and operations that rely on it being so)

I would suggest clarifying this by adding the sentence:

"Systems should NOT however, rely on HTTP GET to be 'safe'"

Advising otherwise would be misleading, particularly in the case or URLs
with query strings.  There is a reason that most web crawlers, many
other caches, etc. exclude URLs that have querystrings -- the fact is
that most systems do NOT depend on *all* GETs to be "safe".