Re: Real-world usage of hatch patterns & feature request

Hi all,

Most Hatch patterns can easily be made using dash arrays with a line width
of 100%, can be made any angle and a cross hatch is just two lines of
code. There are obvious limits to this method as it cannot be used as a
fill, but you'd need to clip your pattern, making it a bit of a hassle. It
does however give vastly better results than using patterns and are easier
to read. I was wondering if the variant line width in SVG2 would also
allow for dash arrays using those.

That would allow for easy diamond shaped hatching and the like, which
could greatly improve the options of using SVG for print. I was thinking
of converting color values to hatch patterns that way and than printing
the rasters at 2400 dpi or something like that.

Come to think of it, some filter for stochastic patterning would be nice
as well. In combination with filters for color conversion (from sRGB to
CMYK or hexachrome for example, with color separation to get the right
layer). I guess you don't need to support that in the browser, but it
would be nice to have it defined in the standard for the non browser use
cases that abound for SVG and are so ill addressed. The current work
arounds are a bit of a pain, working with CMYK kind of cumbersome, but
having some filter method would allow for a wide variety of
implementations. I can imagine stochastic raster, color conversion, color
separation with/without black overprint and things like that. If you can
hang some color profile into the filter using the specs for an output
device, that would probably save a lot of hassle for the author and solve
a few problems in the input and output work flow for graphics designers.

I understand that the limited view of the browser vendors in this group
and other industrial monopolist will have objections to such an idea, but
I thought it would be worth mentioning that SVG might try to organise
these ideas into standard behaviours as to prevent another .ODT format
just for the sake of these things. XML may well be considered a dead end
for many, but it is a widely used format in many content producing
industries. Translation, aviation, GIS and cutters spring to mind to name
a few. Many of  those have to convert their graphics into print with
preferably decent color precision.

Maybe, I just couldn't find any of that in the current SVG2, so please
correct me if I am mistaken here.

Cheers,

Jelle