Re: Real-world usage of hatch patterns & feature request

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 10:19 PM, Jelle Mulder
<jelle.mulder2@outlook.com> wrote:
> Most Hatch patterns can easily be made using dash arrays with a line width
> of 100%, can be made any angle and a cross hatch is just two lines of code.
> There are obvious limits to this method as it cannot be used as a fill, but
> you'd need to clip your pattern, making it a bit of a hassle. It does
> however give vastly better results than using patterns and are easier to
> read. I was wondering if the variant line width in SVG2 would also allow for
> dash arrays using those.

Note that I wasn't trying to ask for any new feature with my email.
We *already have* the <hatch> element, which solves hatch patterns
quite well.  We don't need to worry about hacks involving super-fat
dashed lines and clipping.

> Come to think of it, some filter for stochastic patterning would be nice as
> well. In combination with filters for color conversion (from sRGB to CMYK or
> hexachrome for example, with color separation to get the right layer). I
> guess you don't need to support that in the browser, but it would be nice to
> have it defined in the standard for the non browser use cases that abound
> for SVG and are so ill addressed. The current work arounds are a bit of a
> pain, working with CMYK kind of cumbersome, but having some filter method
> would allow for a wide variety of implementations. I can imagine stochastic
> raster, color conversion, color separation with/without black overprint and
> things like that. If you can hang some color profile into the filter using
> the specs for an output device, that would probably save a lot of hassle for
> the author and solve a few problems in the input and output work flow for
> graphics designers.

Yeah, there've been discussions about stochastic patterning before.
That's obviously a separate topic. ^_^

> I understand that the limited view of the browser vendors in this group and
> other industrial monopolist will have objections to such an idea,

This is not true, useful, or kind.  Please keep a professional tone on
this mailing list.

~TJ