Re: SVG 1.1 default implicit ARIA semantics

I stand corrected.  I linked to the "presentation" role definition but
didn't read it carefully; I was confusing it with the "img" role, which
does force child content to be ignored.

However, if the only affect of role=presentation is to *remove* default
semantics, I don't see any purpose for making it the default value.

@Steve: Are you sure this wasn't just a cut-and-paste error on your
behalf?  The SVG 2 draft mapping is different from the SVG1.1 table you
created.  It has "none" as the default role for text elements that do not
contain extra accessibility content (or the group role if there is also
non-visual text content such as title, desc, or aria-label).

I wasn't thinking of "none" as an option when I wrote up my note; that is
probably the best solution for tspan and textPath when they are only used
for formatting.  I still think that <text> elements should have a role that
identifies each element as a separate chunk. Given the lack of a
paragraph-equivalent ARIA role, that could be indicated through API
recommendations, and either "group" or "none" should be the default ARIA
semantics.

On a more general note:
Would there be any harm in having both text and graphics elements map to
the "group" role by default, even if they are effectively empty (graphics
with no accessibility content) or only have plain text content?  That would
probably be easier to implement than the "if it has any relevant content,
treat as a group, otherwise treat as presentation/none" rules.  But I don't
know if any accessibility technologies specifically read out unlabelled or
empty "group"-type elements, which would be a problem.

ABR