Re: SVG cloning elements from HTML5

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 1:04 AM, Dr. Olaf Hoffmann <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de> wrote:
> Tab Atkins Jr.:
>> On Jun 18, 2014 10:11 AM, "Dr. Olaf Hoffmann" <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de> wrote:
>>> Indeed, due to SVG tiny 1.2 there are already the elements audio and
>>> video in the SVG namespace.
>>> To align them to HTML5 behaviour would mean a backwards incompatible
>>> change.
>>
>> Those elements do not exist in any meaningful way, as no browser ever
>> implemented Tiny, and so there is no backwards compat issue.
>
> This is obviously wrong.
> Maybe only your preferred viewers did not care about it yet,
> resulting in the wrong impression, that nobody at all cared.

I said "browsers", not "viewers".  I don't care very much about the
community of viewers, as their userbase is infinitesimal compared to
the userbase of browsers.  This is a pretty standard treatment; for
example, non-browser implementations of CSS have very little influence
on CSS specifications.  (Not zero, but very small.)

Since you cannot use <svg:video> or <svg:audio> on the web, it's not
very relevant for us to worry about.  I will formally object to any
attempt to specify those elements in SVG2, as the WG is actively
attempting to unify the handful of same-name elements we currently
have with HTML, and adding more makes this much harder.  Adding
<audio> and <video> in particular would be terrible, as their APIs and
processing models are substantially different from HTML's.

~TJ