Re: SVG cloning elements from HTML5

Tab Atkins Jr.:
> On Jun 18, 2014 10:11 AM, "Dr. Olaf Hoffmann" <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Indeed, due to SVG tiny 1.2 there are already the elements audio and
>
> video in
>
> > the SVG namespace.
> > To align them to HTML5 behaviour would mean a backwards incompatible
>
> change.
>
> Those elements do not exist in any meaningful way, as no browser ever
> implemented Tiny, and so there is no backwards compat issue.
>
> ~TJ

This is obviously wrong.
Maybe only your preferred viewers did not care about it yet,
resulting in the wrong impression, that nobody at all cared.

There were some implementation tests for SVG tiny 1.2, including
several programs, which implemented SVG tiny 1.2 successfully
enough, that it became a recommendation ;o)

For example Opera at least interpretes audio and video and animation
(but still with some bugs) - in general Opera interpretes parts of SVG tiny
1.2.
Testing new issues and issues deviating from SVG 1.1 I got the
best result with 133 of 335 test cases for Opera 10.60/ 11.00.
As for SVG 1.1 the current Opera 12 seems to have some regressions
for SVG tiny 1.2.

Best results for audio with
Opera 9.50 alpha/beta/ 9.52/ 10.0 alpha/beta/ 10.0:  26/31
One can see video for example with
Opera 10.60/ 11.00/12.00,
but most of my test cases Opera unfortunately
fails due to problems requiredFormats switches
(as for 'HTML5' for the same reasons there is no video format
required, therefore one has to find a format, that is interpreted
to continue with the test, Opera claims to interprete (animated)
GIF, but ignores this for video).
If one does not care about alternatives and choses
specific video formats like OGG, one can see video including
declarative timing and interactivity (but sometimes problems
occur due to some bugs: missed events, sometimes no
repetitions, ignoring begin times etc).

There were other companies active within the
development of SVG tiny 1.2 - I do not have access
to their programs, but they have successful implementations
as well. I think, there is an implementation report available.
Unfortunately the SVG working group did never finish
the test suite for SVG tiny 1.2.

Because SVG tiny 1.2 is implemented at least in parts,
explanations and examples are available in tutorials
(as the german wikibook about SVG).

Olaf