Re: Automatic centering and positioning

> I'm all for authoring convenience, but mutual centering is achievable in
Illustrator (for example)

That's true, but there are a *lot* of people using SVG now that aren't
working with preconstructed documents.  A majority of the SVG questions on
Stack Overflow are related to SVG generating libraries such as D3.js
or Raphaël.
 They are creating graphs or infographics at runtime.

I am open to the idea that CSS can be a solution to this, but curious what
sort of layout mode Tab et al are thinking about.

What I guess I was thinking was something like a new property
a translate transform based on the two objects' bounding boxes.  It would
need to allow for positioning relative to right and bottom edges - not just
left and top. And also would need a mechanism to deal with circular
dependencies etc.

Paul