fancy lines

From: Brenton Chapin <bzipitidoo@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 00:45:20 -0600
To: www-svg@w3.org
Greetings list.  I dabble with SVG and am still trying to figure out what
it can do.

Stroke-dasharray allows the drawing of many kinds of dashed lines.  Is
there any way to draw such things as a double line, tapered line, or a wavy
line, with a single use of a path or line element?  The SVG documentation
says patterns can be used for strokes, but I haven't been able to get that
to work.  There's an example of a pattern used for a fill, but no example
for a stroke.

Another idea was <tspan dy="-1"> and <tspan dy="1"> for a double line,
except tspan only works on text.

Meantime, what does work for a double line is drawing a thin line in the
background color on top of a thick line.

--
http://brentonchapin.dyndns.info