Re: Proposal: Nesting SVG Graphics Elements

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 11:08 PM, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote:

> Rik Cabanier:
>
>  do you think extending the box model to SVG will make it faster to render?
>> want that rect to fit the text.
>>

> Obviously it will take some computation to apply CSS layouts to SVG
> content, but I wouldn't want content that doesn't use it to be slower.

> text (as I understand Doug's proposal it doesn't), it makes a lot of sense
> to me to be able to have a rectangle sized according to some text.  SVG
> diagrams now just don't respond well different fonts available, localised
> text, available space for rendering, etc.

Maybe it doesn't, but judging by Tab's reaction, that is the first thing
that people are going to want.
They will want sizing/fitting/clipping of parents and children.

As others in this thread have remarked, this is also changing the semantics.

implies that the rect contains the text.