Re: Proposal: Nesting SVG Graphics Elements

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 18:08:41 +1100
To: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
CC: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "steve@fenestra.com" <steve@fenestra.com>, SVG public list <www-svg@w3.org>
Rik Cabanier:
> do you think extending the box model to SVG will make it faster to render?
> want that rect to fit the text.

Obviously it will take some computation to apply CSS layouts to SVG
content, but I wouldn't want content that doesn't use it to be slower.

text (as I understand Doug's proposal it doesn't), it makes a lot of
sense to me to be able to have a rectangle sized according to some text.
  SVG diagrams now just don't respond well different fonts available,
localised text, available space for rendering, etc.