Re: should we remove the kerning property in favour of font-kerning?

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 15:40:43 +1000
To: Nikolas Zimmermann <zimmermann@kde.org>
CC: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>, SVG public list <www-svg@w3.org>
Nikolas Zimmermann:
> In WebKit it doesn't matter if you specify kerning=".." or -webkit-font-kerning=".." - it's mapped to the same values internally. So it's easy for us to do the switch.
> Are we concerned about backwards compatibility here?

Given the lack of implementation in non-WebKit browsers, and the very
few examples I could find on the Web

   * a few pages trying to disable kerning with kerning="0", which won't
     have much of a rendering different
   * a couple of text property demo pages from David Dailey that use
     kerning="3"
   * a single other non-zero value for kerning (0.1) used on

https://ndt.googlecode.com/svn-history/r712/wiki/NDTArchitecture.images/images_submodules.svg
     but that isn't even served with the right mime type

I'm not concerned.