Re: should we remove the kerning property in favour of font-kerning?

From: Nikolas Zimmermann <zimmermann@kde.org>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 07:31:08 +0200
Cc: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>, SVG public list <www-svg@w3.org>
To: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>

Am 27.05.2012 um 15:50 schrieb Dirk Schulze:

> On May 27, 2012, at 1:22 AM, Cameron McCormack wrote:
>> SVG 1.1 has the kerning property, which lets you override the kerning
>> information from the font to use a specific value.  You can use
>> "kerning: 0" to disable kerning, for example.  css3-fonts defines the
>> font-kerning property, which has values "none" to disable kerning,
>> "normal" to apply it, and "auto" to give the UA some leeway in
>> determining whether it should apply.
> I rely on the experience of Niko and I hope he answers to this thread as well. Personally I would continue with CSS styling and am in favor for dropping 'kerning'. But I have no idea if it is in use somewhere.
Sorry for the delayed answer. I see nothing that holds back removing 'kerning'.
In WebKit it doesn't matter if you specify kerning=".." or -webkit-font-kerning=".." - it's mapped to the same values internally. So it's easy for us to do the switch.
Are we concerned about backwards compatibility here?