Re: SVG Masking under FXTF

From: Brian Birtles <birtles@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 07:53:21 +0900
To: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
CC: "www-svg@w3.org list" <www-svg@w3.org>, Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com>
(2012/08/01 5:47), Dirk Schulze wrote:
> I would like to discuss moving the SVG Masking part to a new spec, just like we did for Filter Effects and CSS Transforms. The CSS WG is looking into specifying masking as well. Because the last draft of SVG 2 does a lot of changes to masking which seem to be helpful on HTML as well, it might be the time to discuss these changes with the CSS WG. I would like to avoid repeating the same mistake on masking that was done on transforms initially.

Hi Dirk,

I think this is a really good idea. I think it should be possible to
come up with a property (or set of properties) that work for both SVG
and CSS/HTML and are more-or-less aligned with -webkit-mask.

Initially I thought this would take place after SVG 2 but if the SVG WG
is ok with splitting this off now then I think that's better. Something
to add to Friday's telcon.

Best regards,

Brian