Re: mask: luminance or alpha

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 14:16:54 -0700
To: Brian Birtles <birtles@gmail.com>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org
On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 6:37 PM, Brian Birtles <birtles@gmail.com> wrote:
> For (2) we decided to make 'auto' behave as alpha since it seems like a lot
> of people want to refer to a raster image as their mask and use the alpha
> values as the mask values. I'm pretty sure that's how -webkit-mask works.

This is another decent argument.  It sucks that -webkit-mask was
defined without regard to the SVG mask property, but we're likely
stuck with it.  It default to alpha when referring to <image> types,
so it would be convenient if we could merge the two by defining the
SVG property to default to alpha when referring to <image>s, at least.

~TJ