Using test images in a scientific publication?

From: Jasper van de Gronde <th.v.d.gronde@hccnet.nl>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 15:40:57 +0100
To: www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
Hi,

I might be interested in using one of the SVG test images (or at least a
derivative of it) in a scientific publication, would there be any
problems in doing this?

The image in question is the test image for morphological filters, as it
happens to be a very clean image that makes it easy to demonstrate the
differences between (morphological) filters. (None of the images I've
seen in the literature are as clear as this one for demonstrating the
differences between different approaches to colour morphology.)

My understanding so far is that the following would apply:
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2008/04-testsuite-copyright.html
But I am not 100% sure of how to interpret that in this particular case.

- Jasper