Re: display:none and mixed SVG and HTML

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 09:14:00 -0500
To: www-svg@w3.org
On 2/2/12 8:30 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> If and only if the elements are referenced, so this doesn't defeat the
> general optimization where browsers don't create boxes for
> display:none subtrees.

Oh, and I don't think that's true.  For example, I think it would be
really weird for transition/animation start/end events on a DOM node to
fire or not depending on whether that node is referenced from some
totally different part of the document.  Whatever "referenced" means; if
something with hidden visibility uses a paint server and the UA
optimizes away the painting, is the paint server "referenced"?  Having
DOM events depend on _that_ is even weirder.

Again, please try to actually think through all the implications of
proposals, not just the simple cases.

-Boris