Re: bounding box of inline SVG

From: Dr. Olaf Hoffmann <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 10:09:13 +0200
To: www-svg@w3.org
Hello,

what is the idea, how this should work to calculate it automatically,
if neither the author of the SVG nor the embedding document gives information
about the intended size of the graphics?

Many of my SVG documents have parts of graphical objects out of the viewBox
and for several of them it depends on the preserveAspectRatio, what is the
intention to display, if the aspect ratio of the viewport does not fit to the
viewBox. Obviously, if the embedding document does not provide information
about size or at least aspect ratio of the viewport, I cannot see how to
calculate this automatically.

On the other hand, for an author of the embedding document it is typically
simple to provide information about the available viewport, as well as for
a browser to know the viewport size, if the SVG is not embedded at all.
Or if size matters for the SVG, it should be simple for the SVG document
author to provide information about width and height (apart from the
practical problem, that typical browser do not manage to display absolute
sizes properly anyway).

Olaf