bounding box of inline SVG

From: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 21:45:36 -0700
To: www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>

If you use inline SVG, you still need to define the width and height of each
block of inline SVG.
Could the spec be changed so that this is calculated automatically?
The browser sees all the graphics in the DOM, so it could do this with not
too much effort. This would make it easier to draw and manipulate inline SVG
elements since you won't have to worry about the bbox and viewbox.

I seem to remember a discussion on this, but I can't find it any more.