Re: SVG on Android (was: agenda+ SVG 2 Features and Approach)

From: Alex Danilo <alex@abbra.com>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 17:38:04 +1000
To: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Cc: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>, "'www-svg'" <www-svg@w3.org>
Hi Doug,

--Original Message--:
><snip/>
>My impression was that Honeycomb was exclusively for tablets (though, in
>that sense, I misspoke... I meant to say Android on mobile phones, I
>didn't mean tablets).  I hope you are right that the tablet and mobile
>branches will merge soon.  I am sure that ultimately SVG will work on
><snip/>

The latest news I've heard on the Android front from WebKit dev and
other places is that the intention is to pull the Chrome version of WebKit
into Android in future.

To date, Android took a really old WebKit snapshot and worked with
that independent of the main WebKit project. For Honeycomb they
used Chrome as the basis. This will now become the main browser
approach as well - i.e. derived from a Chrome release instead of the
old WebKit fork.

So the future looks bright...

Alex