Re: does <set> add an attribute to node.attributes

From: Alex Danilo <alex@abbra.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 12:35:12 +1100
To: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Cc: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, ddailey <ddailey@zoominternet.net>, robert@ocallahan.org, www-svg@w3.org
Doug,

	You didn't read my previous response.

--Original Message--:
>Hi, Folks-
>
>Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote (on 10/17/10 8:14 PM):
>> * Alex Danilo wrote:
>>>Nothing in the spec. says animations shouldn't change the DOM either.
>>
>> "When an animation is running, it should not actually change
>> the attribute values in the DOM." -- SMIL 2.1, section 3.3.1.
>
>Yes, it's more like a CSS presentation value than an attribute value.
>
>There have been times that I wished SMIL animation could change the DOM,
>but the SMIL spec is clear, as Björn points out.

Wrong. SMIL says attribute _value_. And this is a "should" guide and
implementations do exactly what is said - maintain the base and
animated values.

>I would say this is a bug in Opera, if it really does add an attribute;
>that said, I suspect it won't make much difference for most purposes.

I would say that the animation should not happen if that is the case.

If SMIL cannot change the DOM, there is no attribute to animate.

If the animation says attributeType="XML" etc., or similar then it's
not there and won't animate. Poor content authors.

Alex