Re: why does <text/> have no firstChild with value ""

I don't understand why textContent doesn't solve your problem of 'additional
coding', as I tried to explain in the earlier thread.

Also, you are assuming that <text> will have just text nodes as its
children, but this is an incorrect assumption.  There are lots of different
types of nodes that can go inside a <text> element in SVG.

<text>
  <tspan/>
</text>

<text>