why does <text/> have no firstChild with value ""

From: Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 16:16:20 +0100
To: www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
why does <text/> have no firstChild with value ""

Can someone please point me to an explanation why the authors
inclusion of an empty text element does not generate a firstChild with
value the empty string?
my issue is that the current methodology requires additional coding
and complication for the author, and little or no benefit to the UA,
afaict.

regards

Jonathan Chetwynd

A couple of kindly respondents provided excellent responses offline to
my original post:

Re: SVG 1.1 Does no text exist in the DOM? or why no eggs?

but I hope this version may be a little clearer.