Re: New anti aliasing techniques for 2d rendering

From: Steve Schafer <steve@fenestra.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 09:51:59 -0400
To: www-svg@w3.org
On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 17:37:40 -0300, you wrote:

>Sure. I don't claim to invent Sampling theory.

I never said that you did.

>I just claim I'm the first one to actually implement it for 2d vector
>graphics.

Which, of course, is contradicted by the 20-year-old reference that I
cited (see the test images in Figure 14.3 of that reference, for
example). Strictly speaking, "implement [anti-aliasing] for 2d vector
graphics" is not meaningful, since aliasing is not a characteristic of
2d vector graphics, but is rather a characteristic of the sampling
process, which typically occurs during conversion of an image (vector or
otherwise) to a pixel- or scanline-based representation.

In any event, all anti-aliasing techniques are based in some way or
another on sampling theory.

>That would mean that no progress is ever possible. I don't agree.

A "rule of thumb" is something that is valid most of the time, but not
necessarily all of the time.

-Steve