Re: [css-style-attr] SVG WG comments on CSS Styling Attributes Level 1

From: Jeff Schiller <codedread@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 08:54:23 -0700
To: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Cc: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>, www-style@w3.org, www-svg@w3.org
On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 6:13 AM, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> wrote:

>  > > You call it an artifact.  I call it a ubiquitous, living notation
>  > > embraced by all the programming languages people are using today.
>
> You're right, it's common in programming languages. But CSS was
> explicitly designed to *not* be a programming language. The last words
> in the CSS1 Recommendations are:

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-values/#calc

width: calc(100%/3 - 2*1em - 2*1px);

Certainly seems like a programming language to me.  Let me check who the
editors are on that spec...

I also buy Tab's argument re: values going between JS and CSS (though I
haven't personally tested it).  I am surprised at seeing admittedly strong
technical arguments being brushed aside for other reasons, and worse that
this feature is proposed to be deprecated as a result.

Jeff