Re: How does the svg element handle CSS border and background-color?

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 21:03:15 -0400
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Kevin Ar18 <kevinar18@hotmail.com>, patd@microsoft.com, tonyschr@microsoft.com, www-svg@w3.org
Hi, Ian-

Ian Hickson wrote (on 8/23/10 8:37 PM):
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2010, Kevin Ar18 wrote:
>>
>>  Maybe this issue has nothing to do with html; maybe it needs some
>>  clarification in CSS instead.
>
> This sounds like something that should be defined in SVG and/or DOM Events
> (assuming you mean "blocking" for the purposes of mouse clicks), not in
> HTML. The same problem would occur without HTML being involved at all,
> e.g. if you just had a random XML element styled with CSS which then had
> SVG inside it.

Agreed.  I've noted this in our issue tracker as ISSUE-2364 [1], which
we will discuss at the upcoming SVG WG F2F in the beginning of
September.  We will likely specify this in the SVG Integration spec, and
I'd appreciate your review of the wording; if it turns out there are any
HTML issues, we'll keep you in the loop.

We may clarify the SVG 1.1 2nd edition spec (and include test cases) as
well, and will certainly make it much more clear in SVG 2.  My goal is
to get this resolved in time for inclusion in upcoming browser releases.

[1] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2364

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs