RE: How does the svg element handle CSS border and background-color?

From: Kevin Ar18 <kevinar18@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 17:34:31 -0400
To: <www-svg@w3.org>

Those properties are not applicable to SVG elements. See the list of CSS properties that can be applied to SVG elements here: http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-SVG11-20100622/styling.html#SVGStylingProperties

That is what I thought.  However, the problem area is putting the svg tag inside an html5 document.  You can then apply background-color, borders, etc....
Several questions:
* Should the HTML5 spec forbid applying non-svg properties to the svg element when embedded in an html5 document?  (I'm not sure if this would work though)

* Should the CSS properties be allowed, but with special conditions?