Re: Should the base svg tag receive events?

I really think that on this subject the spec is clear and I don't see any
contradictions either. The implementers obviously found it clear also, since
their implementations have the same behavior. Aren't we forgetting the
currentTarget property? The currentTarget is the element on which the event
was registered; if that element is not suitable as target then the
implementation ignores (rather than discard) the event. Yes, only, the major
implementations, excluding ASV, do not ignore, which I personally think is
good news. See the 5th paragraph below.

A <g> container is specifically designed, among other things, to act as a
group (great!). It's the most convenient place where to set
attributes/properties to be inherited by all of its children whenever they
are eligible for a particular attribute/property. I don't think we need the
example of 50,000 text elements with font-size 7pt or click event or
pointer-events on each of them.

An <svg> element is also a super group with funky properties. You can
register pointer events on it.

As much as a group cannot be the target of pointer events, it is not the
target of transformations either. If we set a transformation on an empty
group we are not likely to see much happening. Likewise, if we register
events on an empty group nothing visual happens. But we can still query the
currentTarget property, and rightfully so! If the spec says that a container
element cannot be the target of pointer events, it does not say anywhere
that pointer events cannot be registered on them, or does it? The first is a
description of status and behavior, the second is an operation, they do not
relate and are not mutually exclusive or contradictory in any way.

Note that in Opera, Firefox, Chrome and Safari, pointer events registered on
an outmost svg container with no graphical elements (strictly empty), do
trigger the event handler(s). In ASV they don't. It's interesting that both
the currentTarget and the target properties designate the svg element,
whereas to be strict only the currentTarget should (or perhaps it is said
somewhere that in the absence of target then currentTarget will assume the
status of target?). The event must trigger because nowhere it is said -that
I'm aware of- that if a container does not have any element in it qualifying
as target for pointer events, i.e. a graphical element, it should cease to
be the currentTarget. Simply think of elements that may be appended
dynamically, which justifies that a group be initially empty.

> The right way to define this is to say that a DOM event is always
> dispatched, but that the target when there are no graphical elements under
> the pointer is the nearest ancestor of the root SVG element that's
> sensitive to events or something.  There are probably other ways to define
> it too, but what the spec has now seems pretty clear and isn't right.

To say that this would be the right way is arbitrary. A target cannot be the
nearest ancestor in any case. What you really need is to check where the
capturing phase originates, is it the svg document or the Document object
(as: parent, window)? I honestly don't know. Then you can check with the
bubbling phase also; if the capturing phase originates at the level of the
Document object  then the bubbling phase should also end up there. If this
is true and any of the ancestors have a specially registered capturing event
handlers (setting the third parameter to true) then there you have it your
event. I'm sure others have experimented with this.

Domenico Strazzullo