Re: Margins for filters?

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 6:13 PM, Dirk Schulze <vbs85@gmx.de> wrote:

> On the one hand I agree to Rob, that more attribites make filters more
> complex. On the other hand it would be a big break to the current Spec
> to ignore filter regions (or subregions) at all.
> The spec should be compatible to SVG 1.1.

I challenge you to find one example of real SVG content where the author is
relying on clipping to the filter region.

I can point you to at least one case where an author created some content in
Inkscape, which apparently hasn't always applied filter region clipping
properly, and filed a bug against Firefox because we clipped it to the
filter region.

I think it's entirely possible that changing the spec would fix more content
than it breaks :-).

And even if there are examples, where filter region equals the viewport,
> the most examples clip to the necessary parts. This doesn't forbid you
> to add further optimizations.

The point is that given there are some popular SVG files that set the filter
region to the viewport (like everything produced by Omnigraffle) you're
going to have to implement automatic calculation of the minimal filter
region sooner or later, because for sure users are going to file bugs when
they hit SVG files that make your browser grind to a halt while "it works
fine in Firefox" (or any browser that doesn't support filters, which is why
I did those optimizations in the first place). Might as well do it sooner
and spare authors from the pain of calculating their own filter regions.

Also how would you implement clipping of the filter result. IIRC
> clipPath gets applied right before the filter.

I'm not sure what the problem is here.

Rob
53:5-6]