coordinatePrecison attribute proposal

From: Klaus Förster <klaus.foerster@uibk.ac.at>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 12:01:47 +0200
To: www-svg WG <www-svg@w3.org>
Doug Sheppers asked me to send a proposal that I've made at the SVGOpen
conference on this subject to the list - so here it is:

SVG code generated by Software often contains attributes, namespaces and
the like that increase file-size, make code unreadable for human eyes
and are in fact not needed when displayed on the web. Thus libraries
like Scour [1] have started to clean up bloated code and even try to
reduce precision of coordinates during this process. Due to the nature
of SVG, precision requirements may change within a single file. A
mapping user interface in pixel space gets along with integers just
fine, whereas the included map in real-world lat/lon coordinates needs
at least 3 to 7 decimal places to preserve geometry. Currently it is not
possible to semantically distinguish between the two, so I propose a new
attribute named "coordinatePrecision", "precision" or any other name,
that allows to specify the desired number of decimal places for content
of the following elements:

   - elements that establish viewPorts [2] - i.e. svg, symbol, image,
foreignObject
   - marker, pattern and view elements [3]

If it is not possible or desirable to add such an attribute, I encourage
the working group to consider other ways of giving hints to libraries on
how to cope with this situation. Maybe using HTML5s custom data-
attribute or any other way.

Klaus Förster

[1] http://www.codedread.com/scour/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/coords.html#ElementsThatEstablishViewports