Re: WG: SVG in SVG

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 10:17:14 +1000
To: www-svg@w3.org
Hi Christian.

Lichtenberger, Christian:
> Now it is not possible to use one SVG in a other SVG in a case of
> making a instace of it and changeing attributes.
> I don't see a way to do this now only with SVG.

> In my opinion this could work similar like:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xslt-19991116#section-Combining-Stylesheets

Using XSLT to create parameterised SVG content is certainly a
possibility.  Years ago, there was a proposal for doing just that:

This was eventually dropped in favour of sXBL, which in turn was dropped
in favour of XBL 2.0 (a script-based mechanism for parameterised

> It must be possible to change attributes of the original.
> Also helpful would be a event "attributeChanged".
> Could you please discuss this to get part of the specification.

Recently, the working group has been looking at simple parameterisations
of SVG content, where the parameters come from the URI query string or
from HTML <param> elements.  You can see the beginning of this work

Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/