Re: Selectors, getElementsByTagName() and camelCase SVG

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 16:29:09 -0700
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
Ian Hickson wrote:
> I haven't changed the HTML5 spec on this issue, since it seems that what
> the spec says is what people seemed to agree was the desireable behaviour.
>
> Namely, the method is case-sensitive except for elements in the HTML
> namespace in HTML documents.

That doesn't sound to me like what was agreed on towards the end there,
but maybe I misunderstood.  My impression is that for the HTML namespace
in HTML documents the argument to getElementsByTagName is
ASCII-lowercased before doing a case-sensitive compare; for everything
else the original case is used.

-Boris