Re: <link> and <param> in SVG (SVG ACTION-2534)

From: G. Wade Johnson <gwadej@anomaly.org>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 18:06:12 -0500
To: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Cc: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
On Fri, 01 May 2009 03:18:44 -0400
Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:

> Hi, HTML WG-
> Like the HTML WG, the SVG WG is interested in a certain consistency
> between SVG and HTML, to make authoring and implementing easier and
> more intuitive.  To that end, we're looking for opinions on adding a
> couple of features to SVG matching some in HTML that most authors
> would already be familiar with, and we are soliciting opinions about
> the best approach.
> We want to make it easier to link to external CSS resources, and to
> pass parameters to referenced resources.

That would be great.

> Through an oversight, the only specified way to link to an external
> CSS stylesheet is through an XML PI.  While this works okay, it's not
> the best way to do it, and is different than the way HTML does it.
> We're looking at a couple of options:
> 1) we add @xlink:href to <svg:style>
> 2) we add a new element, like <link>, to SVG (I've already shown that
> this sometimes works when the <link> is in the XHTML NS [1], but that
> isn't specified anywhere, and isn't intuitive)

At a glance, I prefer 1. It seems more obvious to use the <svg:style>
element when talking about stylesheets, instead of digging through the
<link> attributes trying to see if this is a stylesheet reference.

> Regarding passing parameters, SVG has never had a mechanism for this.
> We would like to add one.  Again, we can either create a new element,
> or we could repurpose the <param> element from the HTML <object>, for
> use in SVG.
> Our preference is to reuse those element names, because authors are
> familiar with them, but to put them in the SVG NS, for use in
> standalone SVG documents (and in SVG-only UAs).  We realize that this
> may have the potential to cause problems for some compound-document
> parsing scenarios, so we decided to put the question to the HTML WG,
> to see if there are substantive technical challenges to this
> approach.

I would definitely like to see the <param> feature implemented. I would
expect that it would not cause problems for compound documents that
respect namespaces, but the HTML case is still a potential for fun.

I would like to hear if any of the browser teams think it would be a
problem for them.

My bias toward programming access to SVG probably shows in my

G. Wade
Virtual is when it's not but it looks like it is and transparent is
when it is but it looks like it isn't.                 -- Rick Hoselton