Re: display different elements in transparent areas based on z-index values

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 22:14:47 -0400
To: Morph Ex <morphex9@yahoo.com>
CC: www-svg@w3.org
Hi, Morph Ex-

Morph Ex wrote (on 3/9/09 6:57 PM):
> Thanks for your response.  As an example, imagine that you need to
> add a logo to your website.  Since the background of the page might
> be changed or redesigned frequently you only want to include the text
> in the image and then specify transparent areas where the background
> can bleed through.  If you embed the svg image directly in the body
> tag then the body's background color or background image will always
> show through your svg image's transparent areas.  However if you
> embed the image in another element, let's say a div element, then
> only the div's background color will show through the transparent
> areas.

It seems to me that a simpler and computationally cheaper way to do this
is to simply modify the SVG image as well (possibly using CSS).

However, we are currently working on a Compositing specification, which
also touches on clipping-paths, masks, and transparency, and we will
keep your feedback in mind while working on this.

Regards-
-Doug