[SVG 1.2 Tiny] play, stop, pause, resume on video

From: Dr. Olaf Hoffmann <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 19:02:50 +0200
To: www-svg@w3.org, plh@w3.org

I cannot see a problem for the begin and end of video and audio,
this can be done as usual with SMIL and already with declarative
animation without any scripting.
pause is at least somehow available with (u)DOM, but this I just
know, because some time ago I reviewed a test having pause
in it (derived from SMIL too).

I think, the compatibility problem is more in 'HTML5' - it does not
use the usual SMIL methods and there is no declarative access
to begin and end of video, audio, object, embed etc.
Unfortunately the 'HTML5'-WG decided to reinvent the wheel
(but this time with corners) instead of using already established,
well proven, specified and declarative methods.

Therefore authors still have to embed other formats in HTML5
document to get this functionality without scripting, for example
SMIL or SVGT 1.2.

I think, it would be much more useful to use declarative interactivity
in 'HTML5' derived from SMIL/SVG to get something more useful for
HTML5:video and HTML5:audio, especially because HTML5 uses already
the same element names, what may cause even more problems,
if authors start to use compound documents with SVG/SMIL:audio and
SVG/SMIL:video inside (X)HTML(5) ;o)