Re: SVG clip-path, mask and filter for non-SVG content

Hi, Rob-

Robert O'Callahan wrote (on 9/14/08 7:19 PM):
> As I mentioned a while ago, I'd like to see the 'clip-path', 'mask' and
> 'filter' CSS properties extended to apply to non-SVG content. I think
> the SVG WG is the best place to do that, because the SVG spec defines
> those properties.
>
> I've updated my proposal to remove everything other than the changes to
> those three properties:
> http://people.mozilla.com/~roc/SVG-CSS-Effects-Draft.html
>
> The code to implement this change has actually landed on Firefox trunk.
> There is still a while before a new Firefox release, so there's time to
> update the behaviour based on feedback or even remove it or change
> syntax if necessary. This is simple stuff with not many degrees of
> freedom so I'm hopeful we can get some consensus.
>
> Please consider this proposal and let me know what you think.

Thanks again for your proposal.  I'm happy to report that the SVG WG
agrees in general with your extensions, and we will be integrating it
into our upcoming modules.  There may be some clarifications we'll need
to make, and we need to confirm some things regarding strokes and
bounding boxes, but on the whole we think it will be a good fit with SVG
and CSS.

We hope to work with the CSS WG on this and similar proposals, and would
ask that the CSS WG set aside some time at the TPAC to discuss how we
can coordinate going forward.

You can read the minutes here:

 http://www.w3.org/2008/09/16-svg-minutes.html#item06

Regards-