Re: [1.2T-LC] Comments on Last Call WD of SVG T1.2 (ISSUE-2144)

Hi, Cyril-

Cyril Concolato wrote (on 10/13/08 7:03 AM):

> * Section 11.10.5 The 'buffered-rendering' property What is the
> relationship between SVG T 1.2 'buffered-rendering' attribute and the
> SVG Full 1.2 rendering hints
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-SVG12-20041027/painting.html#sprites)
> cache/static/snap ?

Yes, the 'buffered-rendering' is in fact derived from that similar
feature set in SVG 1.2 Full, and we added it to SVG 1.2 Tiny since it is
particularly useful for mobile optimization, and was implemented by
clients because of client requests.  Since the previous attributes
(cache/static) were directly opposite, it made sense to conflate them
into one attribute, and they will not be split out again in future specs
(as they were in SVG 1.2 Full).

The relationship with the SVG 1.2 Full hints is roughly as follows:
'auto' means do whatever you want
'dynamic' is equivalent to cache='true'
'static' is equivalent to static='true'

There is no equivalent to 'snap', though that could be added.  It's not
clear if that would be a value of 'buffered-rendering', or if (as it
seems on the surface) that it is orthogonal.  It seems to me that you
could want to have a repeated image either as dynamic or static,
depending on the use case.

Please let us know promptly if this is a satisfactory response.

Regards-
-Doug