Re: [1.2T-LC] Comments on Last Call WD of SVG T1.2 (ISSUE-2130)

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2008 12:23:54 -0500
To: cyril.concolato@telecom-paristech.fr
CC: www-svg@w3.org

Hi, Cyril-

Cyril Concolato wrote (on 10/30/08 11:39 AM):

> Concerning xml:id and id, if I understand correctly, 'id' is always of
> type <ID>, while 'xml:id' is of type <ID> if there is no 'id' attribute
> on the element, otherwise it is of type '<NCName>'. Is that correct?
> Could you add a note ? Or change the attribute definition to:
> xml:id = "<ID> | <NCName>"

I've fixed this now.  Both 'id' and 'xml:id' are "<NCName>", and we've
removed the conditionality of the type (we now say that you shouldn't
mix-and-match 'xml:id' and 'id').  In any case, Relax NG does not modify
the infoset (by design), so it can't (or shouldn't) be used to impose
ID-ness on attributes.

Personally, I find this aspect of Relax NG a bit sub-optimal, as I see
real practical value in ensuring uniqueness of ID attributes, but there
are other ways to report that during validation, so this is the best
current option.

With this clarification, and your earlier confirmation of satisfaction
[1], could you please let us know if you are satisfied with the whole of
ISSUE-2130? [2]

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008Oct/0253.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2130

Regards-