SVG 1.2 filter region extensions

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 19:40:20 -0700
To: www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
I just discovered
http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-SVGFilter12-20070501/#filter-margins

I suggest removing this section. The fact is that we already have to
optimize our offscreen surface sizes by analyzing the filter and the target
object, because authors are producing content with ridiculous filter
regions. (In particular, Omnigraffle likes to output <filter filterUnits="*
userSpaceOnUse*">, so the filter region for every element contains the
viewport.) Since we have those optimizations, and I presume all major SVG
user agents will eventually have to follow suit, if they haven't already, we
may as well just let authors specify an absurdly large filter region and
additional facilities for fine-tuning the region will not be useful.

See http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/roc/archives/2008/02/the_best_of_int.htmlfor
a slightly more detailed exposition.

Rob
53:5-6]