Re: Seeking in a SVGt 1.2 based video player

From: Dr. Olaf Hoffmann <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 18:54:36 +0100
To: www-svg@w3.org

I don't know flash video players, therefore I do not know, if
this is, what you are looking for, but declarative timing
can have negative offsets, therefore the presentation of
the video does not always start at the beginning.
According to SVGT A.6.1  this seems to be possible too for
scripting:
beginElementAt
'Creates a begin instance time for the current time plus or minus the passed
offset. The new instance time is added to the begin instance times list.'

It uses simply the same time list as declarative animations.

Doing it declarative only with user interactivity, I think, is a little
bit more tricky. If the duration of the media is known, one can
for example provide some 10% buttons to jump with ten or
eleven buttons to the related fragment of the video. If you have
a cascade of more small buttons next to each other generating a
time line of the video, it should be possible to do it with a sufficient
accurary, but the file size will be increased, if content is not reused
in clever way. But as far as I can see, there is no real need for
scripting to (re)start a video of known length somewhere in the
middle by the user.