Re: Applying SVG properties to non-SVG content

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 19:08:11 -0400
To: www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

Hi, Folks-

Bert Bos wrote (on 7/11/08 2:58 PM):
> On Wednesday 09 July 2008 01:00, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>>
>> I'd greatly appreciate any comments. One thing I'm not sure about is
>> where this specification should live. Obviously it's right in between
>> two working groups :-).
>
> Specifications that involve two or more working groups (other than just
> to review each other's work) are indeed always a bit problematic. But
> as Robin already said, there is nothing that prohibits them. It is just
> a question of organization. Depending on the nature of the work, it
> could be handled by joint meetings, by a task force, by people who
> attend both groups, or, if the project is simple enough, by letting one
> group do the writing and the other the reviews.

 From a logistical point of view, the obvious time and place to continue
this discussion is at the TPAC in October.  And, of course, on this
thread, in the meantime.

> A different problem is how to set the priorities. Compared to all the
> other work being done in SVG and CSS, how high a priority is this and
> how many resources are available for it? Should it be done in the next
> two years (at the cost of what other work?), can it wait a year or two,
> should it not be done anytime soon, or not be done at all...

Personally, I see this as a high priority.  I think it should be started
in a timeframe that allows Mozilla, Opera, and Safari to include this in
upcoming product releases.

CDF WG might be a good place for this to be specified, or we could form
a new joint Task Force.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, WebApps, SVG, and CDF