Re: definition of "character" in SVG 1.1 or 1.2:

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 16:21:56 +0100, ~:'' ありがとうございました。
<j.chetwynd@btinternet.com> wrote:

> definition of "character" in SVG 1.1 or 1.2:
>
> How is character to be interpreted in:
> accessKey-value ::= "accessKey(" character ")"
> is this limited to values of 26 letters and 10 numerals.

The SMIL Animation spec is the place to look for that information (at
least in SVG 1.1), it says: "The character is a single character from
[ISO10646]."

> Opera appears to be limited to this meaning, shift already being used to
> trigger accessKey

That's another separate issue, which has little to do with the standard.
Opera has a number of one-keystroke shortcuts which may conflict with
accessKeys at any time, and I believe that was part of the reason there is
a special keycombo for getting a list of and using the accesskeys in a
document.

If you feel it's an implementation bug then this is not the place to
report it, instead please use http://bugs.opera.com/wizard.

> Please note that Squiggle appears to support all printable characters eg
> -+>....
> including capitalisation as separately defined DdAa...
>
> It is also significant that the space bar and arrows have well defined
> meanings and would be of accessibility benefit. Something similar to
> accessKey(keyCode(32)) would seem helpful, unless there is a more
> transparent or well known method.

SVGT12 references the DOM 3 Events spec, which defines some key
identifiers. However it's still in working draft status.
The SMIL Animation 2.1 spec (referenced from SVGT12) also defines
character in accessKey as "The character is a single character from
[ISO10646].", but is overridden by the new SVGT12 definition.

Cheers
/Erik

Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group