Re: Event handling in clipping conditions

Hi Cameron,

Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote on 12/11/2008 03:33:11 AM:

> Would this also include if a ?clip-path? were specified on the viewport-
> creating element?  Or would it just be the implicit clipping path from
> the overflow:hidden viewport?

   I don't have strong feelings on this but my inclination would be
to restrict it to the implicit clipping path.  Primarily because I
suggested leveraging the overflow property (which only applies to
that clip AFAIK) to control event clipping behavior.

> With the WG?s proposal, you could clip geometry but not events with
> pointer-events="fill".  Were there particular use cases that we wanted
> to handle with this (which might affect my opinion in the previous
> paragraph)?

   The cases I was thinking of were mostly simpler things like an
element that for graphical reasons uses clip to create a hole in
the middle but 'the hole' should still be sensitive to
events.  Perhaps there are others.