Re: BPG: more section 3.2 (key nav) comments

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 19:26:05 +0200, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 18:36:20 +0200, David Bolter
> <david.bolter@utoronto.ca> wrote:
>
>> Simon Pieters wrote:

>>> No, but it would be a straightforward addition to SVG, AFAICT (just a
>>> new value to the focusable attribute); perhaps we should ask the SVG
>>> WG about the matter.

I suggest reading a bit here:
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/interact.html#navigation

Yes, you can define the order of navigation in svg.

>>> I don't see why not.
>>>
>>> For reference, the definition is at
>>> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/interact.html#focusable-attr
>>>

>> Thanks for the link. I see the fourth case for the 'auto' value is
>> "elements that are the 'target' or 'observer' of a 'listener' element
>> that is registered on one of the following user interface events:
>> DOMFocusIn, DOMFocusOut, DOMActivate". I suspect this might be similar
>> to the tabindex="-1" scenario but I don't really understand the case as
>> described.

Well, that part just says which elements are considered to be focusable
automatically (without no additional markup), like links for example.

> It's not the same as tabindex='-1'. It's a case where 'auto' is
> equivalent to 'true', and 'true' means that the element is focusable and
> in the tab order (whereas tabindex='-1' means that the element is
> focusable but not in the tab order).
>

>> Would it have been a good idea to cc the SVG WG on this reply? (I'm a
>> w3c noob).
>
> I've cc-ed www-svg now.

Well, let us know if the focusable and nav-* attributes together don't
address your particular use-case.

Cheers
/Erik

Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group