Re: BPG: more section 3.2 (key nav) comments

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 18:36:20 +0200, David Bolter
<david.bolter@utoronto.ca> wrote:

> Simon Pieters wrote:

>>> Is it possible to denote something focusable but not in the tab order?
>>
>> No, but it would be a straightforward addition to SVG, AFAICT (just a
>> new value to the focusable attribute); perhaps we should ask the SVG WG
>> about the matter.
>>

>>> Maybe that question doesn't make sense in SVG world.
>>
>> I don't see why not.
>>
>> For reference, the definition is at
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/interact.html#focusable-attr
>>

> Thanks for the link. I see the fourth case for the 'auto' value is
> "elements that are the 'target' or 'observer' of a 'listener' element
> that is registered on one of the following user interface events:
> DOMFocusIn, DOMFocusOut, DOMActivate". I suspect this might be similar
> to the tabindex="-1" scenario but I don't really understand the case as
> described.

It's not the same as tabindex='-1'. It's a case where 'auto' is equivalent
to 'true', and 'true' means that the element is focusable and in the tab
order (whereas tabindex='-1' means that the element is focusable but not
in the tab order).

> Would it have been a good idea to cc the SVG WG on this reply? (I'm a
> w3c noob).

I've cc-ed www-svg now.

--
Simon Pieters