Re: 30th anniversary of Star Wars

From: Steve Schafer <steve@fenestra.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 09:25:19 -0400
To: www-svg@w3.org

On Thu, 24 May 2007 14:49:46 +0200, you wrote:

>OK, I don't want to have a "third dimension" in SVG (yet), but I guess
>transformations of the bounding box like this are quite often to happen
>to design people. E.g., both Photoshop and GIMP offer the possibility
>not only to rotate and skew a layer but also to "perspectively
>transform" it, which is exactly what I'm searching for (actually, it's
>the implementation of the second way I mentioned above).

Perspective transformations are non-affine, whereas the transformation
capabilities in SVG allow for only affine transformations. That's why
you can't find any SVG-esque way to do what you want. (In particular,
transforming a rectangle into a trapezoid is a non-affine
transformation, because it takes lines that were originally parallel and
makes them not parallel.)

Steve Schafer
Fenestra Technologies Corp.
http://www.fenestra.com/