Re: opacity, animate and mask

Jeff and Olaf,

I take your points, however it seems to me you may be imagining this
issue from a developer and implementer viewpoint rather than a naive
coder or someone using a design or drawing tool.

In this instance the naive user might well discover the suggested
special significance of zero or "none".
(other values such as 0.000001 providing for current use cases)

However it's a significant hurdle for the naive user to add an extra
attribute, even when they understand this is necessary.

Perhaps you are aware of how easy it is to set up a slideshow with
apple?
how is this done with inkscape or another SVG tool?

This issue isn't even raised in the generally excellent "SVG
Essentials" neither indeed is pointer-events afaik

I'm concerned by the lack of usability testing with naive users, when
creating W3 specifications.
in particular I'd like to see an SVG specification designed around a
simple to use authoring tool for ordinary people, currently known as
"chalk"

regards

Jonathan Chetwynd