Re: opacity, animate and mask

Jonathan,

Ok, here's a use case:  I want to implement a modal dialog type
functionality in a web app.  When somebody clicks on something, I'm
going to display a tiny modal message box.  While that message box is
displayed, I don't want to accept any clicks on other visible
entities.  In other words, I want a completely transparent rectangle
to sit on top of my UI and "block" any mouse clicks until the message
box has been closed, rather than have a variable to track whether the
message box is displayed or not - or temporarily turn off my event
handlers, etc.

Maybe I'm missing where the problem lies, but why can't you just
animate your display to "none" along with opacity to "remove" a faded
element?  Why do you deem your suggested behavior "essential"?

Thanks,
Jeff