[SVG Tiny 1.2 CR Comment] spec text of rendering hints is confusing to implementors

From: Jean-Claude Dufourd <jean-claude.dufourd@streamezzo.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 15:23:34 +0200
To: www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
The spec text of shape-rendering, text-rendering, image-rendering and
color-rendering uses repeatedly the word "shall" in the context of
something called "hints".
This caused our developers to question my statement that although the
parsing of these attributes is mandatory, the implementation of these
attributes is optional.
Please clarify the specification. Suggested action is to replace all
instances of "shall" by "should" or "may" in the hints semantics.
Best regards
JC
--
*Jean-Claude Dufourd* - Chief Scientist, *Streamezzo*
83, Bd du Montparnasse 75006 Paris - Tel: +33 (0) 153632847