Re: Population simulations using SVG animation

From: Gavin Kistner <gavin@refinery.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 21:38:14 -0600
Cc: www-svg@w3.org
To: phil@pricom.com.au

On Oct 13, 2006, at 9:05 AM, Philip Rhoades wrote:

> I want to be able to make the populations dynamic (changing for each
> generation) which will affect the position and diameter of each circle
> ie the sub-pops can be moving, growing & shrinking i.e. the circles
> are
> animated.  This of course may also mean the fill colours would
> change if
> the overlapping of the sub-pops changes.
>
> Could someone direct me to the most sensible way of coding this? - ie
> direct me to some code that will animate one circle to begin with
> (size
> and position).

Check out the source SVG for: http://phrogz.net/svg/grusn.svgz
(There's also a 2.4MB un-gzipped version here: http://phrogz.net/svg/
grusn.svg)

See all the <animate> elements in the file. I don't have the circles
changing size or color (only position), but the SMIL syntax is very
similar and easy to extrapolate.

Alternatively, write out a static SVG file and write out the results
of all your animations as data in JS embedded in the the SVG, and
have the JS control the SVG DOM. For a simple example: http://
phrogz.net/svg/circleanim.svg

Or, you could have JS controlling the SVG load the animation data
from a separate XML source. (Don't have a simple example showing
that, but it, you know, just coding. :)